OTC-011 Off The Cuff ~Sewing Style~: Can you have too many white shirts ? <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10604511\x26blogName\x3dOff+The+Cuff+++++++++~Sewing+Style~\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8803809636534965068', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

5/30/2009

Can you have too many white shirts ?

...I don't think so!

Pam's White Blouse

This is another version of the Brensan "Sew Simple Shirt"....this time with long sleeves, from a very soft, almost gauze-like novelty cotton fabric. The sleeves were made exactly per the pattern specifications, and are wide enough at the hemline to be able to roll up to elbow length. I plan to wear this blouse open over a white tank top, with jeans and white strappy sandals...for a breezy casual look.

I have yet another shirt cut from this pattern, a long sleeve version with sleeve cuffs from a beautiful Swiss cotton shirting. Then I will tear myself away from this pattern and move on to other things. Next up are 2 tailored linen jackets among the many sewing projects I have planned for June.

SEWING NOTES: I did make changes to this version of this blouse: I lengthened the collar by about 1/2" and did not sew the darts. Interfaced with ProSheer Elegance Fusible Interfacing from ~Fashion Sewing Supply~. Buttons from ~Fashion Sewing Supply~.

I've been asked some questions about this shirt--

When you say "lengthened the collar" - what do you mean?


On the first version of this shirt, the collar appeared a little short...it was wide enough, it just didn't appear long enough (just purely my perception). So this time I split the collar pattern at CB and added 1/2". Now it extends along the neckline a little further...1/4" on each side. It's really fine as drafted, I just wanted to make a little change.

Is the notch lower than it is on your first version?


I didn't change anything but the length of the collar. Although now the turnback facing ("lapel", "revers") is now shorter, because the collar is longer :) ....am I making sense? LOL

And when you plan to roll the sleeves, how do you do the seams -French seams? Flat-felled?


This time I did flat fell seams. Because the fabric is so light I was able to just turn both seam allowances and stitch them down, without first trimming one of them.

Labels: ,

What do you think? Please add a comment by clicking here-->

17 Comments:

Anonymous Jeannine said...

You can never have enough white shirts, my mom always said that. I agree. Gorgeous.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Summerset said...

I don't think you can have enough, especially when they are as pretty as the one you've made!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

How perfect is that shirt? I hope you get the warm weather that will its ideal accessory. Okay...no more procrastination. I'm off to order the pattern.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Amy Johnston said...

I'm a big fan of white shirts! I love this one! Beautiful for summer!

5:14 PM  
Blogger gwensews said...

LOVE THAT FABRIC! Cannot have too many white shirts. This one is a cut above!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Liana said...

This fabric is so much fun! I say you can't have too many shirts, but I won't mention color. :) Lovely, and I can see why you're not done with this pattern yet.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Linda L said...

Very nice blouse. You are creating some nice blouses with this pattern. I may have to give this a closer look. Great fabric!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

The fabric makes it special --- looks perfect for summer!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Questions: When you say "lenghtened the collar" - what do you mean? Is the notch lower than it is on your first version? And when you plan to roll the sleeves, how do you do the seams -French seams? Flat-felled?

Sick of me yet?

11:27 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

White is always right when it comes to blouses, especially in the warmer months. This is another great top, Pam.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Faye Lewis said...

Hey thanks for commenting on my blot. I finished the jacket today! Glad it's done. I love your blog - so informative!

5:10 PM  
Blogger bonnie said...

Thanks so much for sharing with us. I love all your shirts and would like to be you on my vacation.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very stylish cut with a great summer fabric. Thanks!

2:00 AM  
Blogger Sigrid said...

What a wonderful fabric that is. Beautiful shirt. And agree, you can never have too many white shirts (only the ironing!).

5:02 AM  
Blogger verobirdie said...

This fabric looks fantastic! The shirt is beautiful.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous phyllis said...

Can I borrow it? :0)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Cennetta said...

No, you can't. This is one pretty blouse.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Site Meter