As mentioned in a previous post, I am choosing to make the HotPatterns Boxy Blouse as the demonstration garment during my time as "Cheerleader" for the Yahoo Groups Creative Machine's "Shirt Challenge".
The fabric has been chosen...a fabulous shirting fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics (purchased quite a while ago). A navy, white, and peach stripe for the body and sleeves, with white collars and cuffs.
The fabric is pre-washed...all ready to go!
However after talking to the friend for whom I am making this shirt...she told me she would rather not have bust darts. That's just as well as I do not see her often enough to make dart fitting changes. So I turned the side bust dart into shoulder gathers with a very quick and easy method...a simple rotation of the side dart to the shoulder seam.
1. I traced a copy of the shirt-front.
2. Next, I marked a line from mid-shoulder to the dart tip.
3. The line was slashed to the tip of the dart.
4. Next the side bust dart was folded-out..."Auto-magically" transferring the fullness to the shoulder seam.
5. A scrap of paper was placed under the open shoulder wedge, and then the new shoulder-line was drawn.
6. The scrap paper was taped to the pattern, and the excess trimmed...to reveal the new shirt front. Now the pattern has gathers at the shoulder, rather than a bust dart.
Tonight I will cut out the pattern, and begin to sew!