OTC-011 Off The Cuff ~Sewing Style~: McCalls 6354...Summertime, and the Sewing is Easy <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10604511\x26blogName\x3dOff+The+Cuff+++++++++~Sewing+Style~\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8803809636534965068', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

7/17/2011

McCalls 6354...Summertime, and the Sewing is Easy


I made this top for my lovely 26-year old "adopted" daughter Jill, 
and I am thrilled with how it turned out! 




The pattern is McCalls 6354...and the fabric is soft Cotton Lawn.



It is super-simple and oh so fast to make...always a plus if your sewing studio is not air-conditioned :)





Fabric choice is important with this style...too stiff and it could look like a "scrub top".  A soft fabric is the way to go with this one, in my opinion.    

The pattern envelope photo makes the shoulder line appear curved, when in fact it is quite straight. That's not a problem, but I could tell Jill wasn't thrilled about the sleeves when I made and fitted a muslin of the style on her last week.

So I made some minor design changes.  I chose to bind the cross-over neckline, rather than use the bias-tape-as-facing method described in the pattern instructions, and I added a bias-tube bow at the CF waist to give the illusion of a drawstring.  Also, I "split" the cap sleeve at the shoulder seam by about 2 inches, so that it would flutter a little bit when worn.  Here's a close-up--



Yes, I could have curved the shoulder seam, but that would have meant fitting another muslin...and I wanted to keep this top fast and easy.




 Will I make this top again?  You bet!   
The next one will be for me...in soft, floaty, washed silk dupionni  :)

What do you think? Please add a comment by clicking here-->

8 Comments:

Blogger Texan said...

This is cute, I can see what you mean how it could have looked like a scrub top if you had not made those changes. Good eye on all that :O). The bow is a good call I think.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Linda L said...

Great fabric choice!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Beautiful top and such a wondeful fabric.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely top and I'm going to steal this idea for a cool summer nightgown. Nice touch on the bow.

Theresa in Tucson

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Love it as I am sure Jill does. Very pretty.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Lynneb said...

I have this pattern! I'm so glad to see it made up! It's lovely, Pam...perfectly lovely!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Evelene S said...

What a beautiful top; love the fabric and the bow adds a finished look to it.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Site Meter