OTC-011 Off The Cuff ~Sewing Style~: Brensan Patterns and the "Barcelona Blouse" <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10604511\x26blogName\x3dOff+The+Cuff+++++++++~Sewing+Style~\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8803809636534965068', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

4/27/2009

Brensan Patterns and the "Barcelona Blouse"

This is my first experience with Brensan Studio Patterns, and my first impression is a very good one! While these patterns seem marketed to the "wearable art /quilting cotton" arena, I think many of the silhouettes will work quite well when made from classic fashion fabrics.

Below is a photo of the Barcelona Blouse Pattern Front and Back. Look past the rather garish red fabric, and notice the classic Princess blouse silhouette, with it's wing collar and split cuffs.


Brensan Barcelona Shirt Pattern

I chose to make mine from a white medium weight jacquard woven cotton/lycra blend fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics. While the garment looks a bit clumsy on my ancient dress form, the fit on me is perfect. I can see making a couple more of this style, utilizing the design options given in the pattern instruction sheets...a contrast bias cut front band and contrast collar. Silk Dupionni would work with this style, and perhaps I'll make another with short sleeves in Linen.

Brensan Barcelona Blouse

Please note that you are not seeing puckers...well you are, LOL, but they are the jacquard "highs and lows" of the fabric...not my sewing....really.

SEWING NOTES: Pattern Alterations- very few. I shortened the shoulders by 1/2" and the sleeves by 3/4". Shirt Collar and Cuffs interfaced with Pro-Sheer Elegance Fusible Interfacing, the back panel and fronts were faced with Pro-Woven Light Standard Sew-in Interfacing, both from ~Fashion Sewing Supply~. Buttons from ~Fashion Sewing Supply~.
Fashion fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics.

Labels: ,

What do you think? Please add a comment by clicking here-->

17 Comments:

Blogger Pam Erny said...

The 2 following comments were made last night on the first draft of this post...lost when I republished it this morning:

Linda T said...
Wow, this is darling!

--------------------

Sew Lind said...
What a beautiful design! Perfect fabric, have fun with the other versions/fabrics planned :-)

7:20 AM  
Blogger meredithp said...

I've added this (and others after visting their website) to my pattern wishlist. Very nice.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

It looks wonderful, and your efforts will sell many copies of this pattern. Your version is basic enough to wear anywhere, with anything, but interesting enough to take it out of the Lands End/LL Bean white shirt category. Good job. BTW - I always appreciate your notation about which interfacing you used - and the curve on that collar is gorgeous!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Gorgeous Things said...

I'm makeing a muslin of this blouse to check the fit. I'm really pleased with how it is going together so far. Pam, did you do the doubled back, or did you do the neck facing? I'm doing the facing.

8:43 AM  
Blogger gwensews said...

The collar and sleeves sell this shirt/jacket! Yours is elegant. Very wearable.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Pam Erny said...

Ann, I did the doubled back using my lightest sew-in interfacing, Pro-Woven Standard #1 Light...Because in this case the fabric had enough body to handle it..and ProWoven Standard #1 Light is very soft, almost sheer after washing and doesn't wrinkle or shrink.

When I make this blouse again in lighter fabrics, I'll use the facing, but I'll probably shape the facing a little wider/deeper...LOL, you know I always change something!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous phyllis said...

Oh I like this, it's grogeous...I need a basic blouse pattern too!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Frantic Home Cook said...

Love this. The cut has enough of an edge to be unique but is still a wardrobe staple. Added to my list.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

This is a beautiful blouse, they should use your blouse for the front cover of the pattern.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

This blouse is really nice, especially in white. Thank you for the review!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Ann Made Studio said...

I love your blouse. It looks so very stylish!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Great interpretation of a basic white blouse! Tres chic!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Sherril said...

It's lovely in that white silk.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

This is a perfect white blouse. Can I copy you?!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I love it! This is exactly what I need in my work wardrobe.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Sharon Sews said...

What a wonderful white blouse. Not your typical basic white blouse and perfect for work with a pencil skirt and heels or to toss on with a pair of jeans. Thanks for pointing out this pattern company.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Summerset said...

Great blouse - I like the lines of it and those cuffs. Classic, but with a little extra twist.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Site Meter